Information on COVID testing for travel
How can I get a COVID-19 test?
- If you have COVID symptoms, you must visit your doctor in the first instance who will arrange the test for you.
- If you don’t have symptoms and need the tests for other reasons, such as travelling, Pathlab can do the swab and test for you.
Do I need an appointment for a COVID-19 test?
An appointment may be required depending on what Pathlab you will be attending:
- Hamilton, Angelsea St – no appointment required
- Tauranga, Cameron Rd – appointment required, phone 07 578 7073 to arrange.
- Whakatane, Stewart St – testing only between 3pm-4pm daily, no appointment required
- Rotorua, Haupapa St – appointment required, phone 07 349 7907 to arrange.
- Taupo, Tuwharetoa St – testing before 3pm only, no appointment required.
Pathlab is not open for testing on Saturday afternoons, Sundays or public holidays.
PLEASE NOTE: Pathlab will NOT be open for specimen collection, including COVID tests from: Friday 25th December through to and including Monday 28th December AND Friday 1st January through to and including Monday 4th January. If you require a COVID during those dates you will need to contact a GP or clinican.
How much will the test(s) cost?
- If you have symptoms and been via your doctor for your test, there may not be a charge.
- If you come to us directly for testing for travel or other requirements, the cost is $200 per test (swab and test).
How long until I get my results?
- The processing time for COVID-19 testing is 24-48 hours from when the laboratory received the sample (not from when your test is done).
- If you have symptoms and come via a doctor, the results are sent to that doctor who will then send them to you.
- If you came to us directly, you will need to complete a form with appropriate details so the results can be emailed to you - PLEASE ENSURE YOU PROVIDE THE CORRECT EMAIL ADDRESS.
- We try to release travel results within 24 hours - if your test is for travel to China, you need to ensure we are told at the time of testing.
PLEASE DO NOT PHONE PATHLAB to ask about your result unless it has been at least 24 hours since your test.
How do I get a medical certificate?
- Pathlab is not able to provide a medical certificate. We can only give you the results of your COVID test. Any signed medical certificate will need to be obtained from a doctor.